Thursday, February 16, 2017

RWISA Spotlight Author ~ Bette Stevens

I am a proud member of the Rave Reviews Book Club (RRBC).


I am honored to also be included in an exclusive division of RRBC,


This week we RWISA members are being introduced by way of blog hop. Today I am excited to introduce you to a lovely woman and talented author, Bette Stevens. Please enjoy this brief interview, in which Bette shares a little about herself!


How long have you been writing, Bette?

20+ years

How many books have you authored?

4 (four)

Please name a few of your titles!

AMAZING MATILDA
PURE TRASH
DOG BONE SOUP

Do you have a writing schedule?

Yes, but it changes with my weekly schedule.

You're a member of Rave Writers ~ International Society of Authors (RWISA). Why do you think you were accepted into this exclusive group?

I believe it is because I'm professional and dedicated to both my readers and author friends.

Modesty aside, what separates your writing from the millions of other writers in the world?

I have a passion for sharing what I believe are crucial societal messages and themes often ignored by the general writing/reading community.

If you could spend a day picking the brain of one author, who would that be? Why?

Emily Dickenson
I think I have a lot in common with this icon who wrote about passions similar to my own.

Are you a die-hard INDIE writer who loves having complete control of your work, or, if you were offered a publishing contract today, would you sign on the dotted line?

I would definitely sign on the dotted line if the contract was too good to pass up, but I would still like to have control of my work to some extent and would write as an Indie as well. My first book, THE TANGRAM ZOO... was published by a local press and I had no control until the company went under and copyrights returned to me. That's when I became an Indie.

As an author, where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Lord willing, I'll stil lbe writing books and hopefully get a chance to talk about them with local readers. Getting recognized in my own area is an uphill journey. Libraries aren't clamoring to host Indies. A local high school librarian suggested that my Amazon reviews were insignificant and that I should get reviews from Kirkus, etc. Not going to happne - that costs a fortune. So, I continue to write, blog, support my author friends, read in local schools and tell everyone I meet about my books. The joy is in the writing and talking with readers. I've got some ideas in mind for 2017, so we'll see where they go...

What is the ONE tool that has been the most beneficial tool in the marketing of your books?

Rave Reviews Book Club where I’ve met wonderful author and reader friends who support me by reading and reviewing my books, by sharing on their media sites, promoting my books on their sites and by encouraging me with positive comments and helpful suggestions. And, Rave Reviews  Book Club offers so much more!

Name one writer that you know of, member or non-member of RRBC, who you feel should be added to the RWISA Roster of elite members.

Micki Peluso

What is the one piece of advice that you could share that would be most valuable for those aspiring to not only be writers, but those aspiring to be great writers?

Keep writing, reading and reviewing...

Do you believe that writers who churn out several books a year are really putting out quality work?

Couldn't give an opinion without reading their work.  Personally, I would not be able do it, but all things are possible and everyone has unique gifts.

If you had promised your fans a book by a certain date only to find that your book wasn’t the best it could be, would you go ahead and publish your book just to meet that self-imposed deadline and deliver as promised, or, would you disappoint your fans and shelve the book until it was absolutely ready?  No matter your reason, please explain why?

I would definitely not knowingly publish until I felt the book was ready for readers to enjoy. I would blog about the delay, send newsletter and use media to let readers know why publication was delayed. Readers might be disappointed, but I think would be pleased and feel valued to be let in on a writing journey’s detour.

In your opinion, what makes a book “a great book?”

A beautifully written (includes editing) and professionally formatted story that draws me in and makes me want to keep reading even when I close the last page.

If you received a review of your book which stated that there were editing & proofing “issues,” what’s the first thing you would do?  And the second?

FIRST:  Get out the book and start reading…
SECOND: Take explicit notes as I’m reading and make necessary corrections.

Thanks so much, Bette! Please share with us one more bit of advice you feel is important for authors to know!

Writing Advice

by Bette A. Stevens

As writers, we can never get too much writing advice. That may sound strange, but for me it continues to be true and I’m grateful for the abundance of resources available both on and off line. The first resource on my list is reading.

Reading? That’s right.

Reading is the first step in becoming better writers. One on the top writer’s resource on my shelf is a book by Stephen King. It’s not one of those stuffy books of Do This and Don’t Do That lists, it’s the story of King’s own writing journey and the book is packed with the nuggets he’s discovered along the way.

But the reading doesn’t stop there. I belong to local and virtual book clubs, where we read and discuss books. I’ve never read a book that I didn’t learn something from— and when I’m engaged in a book, my writer-self is right there with me learning how to improve my own craft.

So, yes, the first step in becoming a better writer is to be a passionate reader.

Next step? Become a passionate writer.

Get writing. Yup, that’s what writers do. On a single piece for my blog, I may write, edit, and rewrite several times before publishing a given post. When I’m working on a book—now that’s a different story. That’s where you need plenty of help, once you’ve got the first draft ready for amateur editor eyes—bless those darling beta readers.

While that draft is vacationing at beta readers resorts, reread your draft one chapter at a time as you edit and rewrite along the way. Always save an unedited copy of every draft just in case. Should one of your beta reader be a professional editor and is willing to reread, that’s fantastic. If not, before you publish, do hire a reputable editor.

Between edits, take breaks so you can look at the work with fresh eyes. It’s amazing what you’ll discover as you travel the path to publication.

Happy reading and writing!

Thanks again, Bette! Interested in checking out a few of Bette's books? Visit her Amazon page and take a look! 
You can also reach her on Twitter: @BetteAStevens
or Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/AuthorIllustratorBetteA.Stevens/




Thank you for supporting our RWISA (Rave Writers ~ International Society of Authors) Members! Please follow and support the entire tour by visiting 4WillsPub.

39 comments:

  1. I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank Bette for hosting my interview on her beautiful blog. May you have just as much fun in the spotlight today as I had yesterday! Take care! :) ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, Stephanie. Sending a big hug along with congrats on the success of your memoir "With Angel's Wings." I'm looking forward to the read. Thanks so much for hosting me on your blog my friend.

      Delete
  2. Oh, what a delight to see Bette here! I loved DOG BONE SOUP and PURE TRASH and think DOG BONE SOUP must be one of hte best indie books I've read to date. Bette is a giving and supportive writer and deserves every moment in the spotlight.

    Excellent writing advice from her today, too. And I couldn't agree more about begin a passionate reader. Too many writers put reading on a back burner, but it is so crucial to an author's growth. Interestingly, I just pulled Stephen King's On Writing from my bookshelf yesterday to begin reading :)

    Stephanie, many thanks for hosting Bette today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And please excuse my fumbling typo, LOL!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for stopping by, Mae, and have yourself a groovy Thursday! :) ~Stephanie

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much for your support, Mae. King's "On Writing" is a top reread writing reference on my book shelf and his story is incredible. I'm currently reading Jodi Picoult's "My Sister's Keeper" for this month's book club read at our local library. Your gracious comments about my books and writing brightened my day. May your day be bright and beautiful! xo

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the interview, and Bette I agreed about being a passionate reader and writer. I am lost without a book to read each night! Thanks, Stephanie for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Lynn! Take care and have yourself a groovy Thursday! :) ~Stephanie

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Lynn. Happy writing and reading every day! xo

      Delete
  4. Hi, Bette, I have been following your writing, and I have enjoyed what I have read so far. Have a great day. Thanks, Stephanie for hosting her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Joy! Take care and have yourself a groovy Thursday! :) ~Stephanie

      Delete
  5. Bette, that was a great interview. I'm a fan of your work, and consider Dog Bone Soup to be one of the best books that I've ever read.
    Stephanie, I enjoyed visiting your beautiful blog. Thanks for hosting Bette today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Rhani! Take care and have yourself a groovy Thursday! :) ~Stephanie

      Delete
    2. Hi, Rhani. Thanks so much for stopping by to join the conversation and for your continued support and encouraging words, my friend. Blessings & love! ~Bette

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed your interview, Bette, along with your sage writing advice.

    Thank you for hosting, Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Peggy! Take care and enjoy the rest of your week! :) ~Stephanie

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Peggy. Have a beautiful day! :)

      Delete
  7. Another great interview & post from the RWISA gang!! Stephanie, thanks for hosting Bette on your lovely site. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Marlena! Take care and enjoy the rest of your week! :) ~Stephanie

      Delete
    2. Hi, Marlena. Thanks so much for stopping by to check out the interview. Happy reading and writing, my #RRBC friend.

      Delete
  8. Nice post, ladies. I'm enjoying getting to know everyone a little better. Keep on reading and writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Anne! I enjoyed your cruise pictures this morning! Take care and enjoy the rest of your week! :) ~Stephanie

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Anne. Happy reading and writing!

      Delete
  9. Hi Bette,
    You have it so right - reading and writing go together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Wendy! Take care and enjoy the rest of your week! :) ~Stephanie

      Delete
    2. Hi, Wendy. Thanks so much for stopping by to join in on the conversation. Happy reading and writing every day! xo

      Delete
  10. Thanks so much for hosting me on your blog and for your continued support on social media, Stephanie. Blessing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful interview, Bette! I really enjoyed reading Pure Trash, and Dog Bone Soup is on my TBR list. And I just adore your beautiful, tranquil poetry. :)
    Thanks for the warm welcome, Stephanie, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Natalie! Take care and enjoy the rest of your week! :) ~Stephanie

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed this inside look at author Bette Stevens. I love what she said about writing advice and how important reading is to a writer. Great job hosting, Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Jan! Take care and have yourself a fantastic Friday! :) ~Stephanie

      Delete
  13. I enjoyed getting to know you better. Good advice about writing. It reminded me of the very same Stephen King book I have sitting my shelf. I think it is time to give it a second read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, D.L.! Take care and have yourself a wonderful weekend! :) ~Stephanie

      Delete
  14. Lovely post and Interview, Bette! And great to get to know more about you :)
    Stephanie, thanks for hosting Bette! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Harmony! Take care and have yourself a wonderful weekend! :) ~Stephanie

      Delete
  15. Congratulations Bette! You certainly deserve to be here. I'm glad I know you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Shirley! Take care and have a wonderful weekend! :) ~Stephanie

      Delete